analyze a neuropsychological disorder that is different from the topic you chose for your Final Project. Select a neuropsychological disorder from the following list, which is based on the DSM-
Analyzing a neuropsychological disorder
This week, you will analyze a neuropsychological disorder that is different from the topic you chose for your Final Project. Select a neuropsychological disorder from the following list, which is based on the DSM-5:
2. Major depressive disorder
3. Bipolar disorder
4. Anxiety – Choose and focus on one of the anxiety disorders, e.g., generalized anxiety disorder or social anxiety disorder.
5. Post-traumatic stress disorder
6. Obsessive-compulsive disorder
7. Substance use disorder (substance abuse and addiction) – Provide both an overview of this topic plus a focus on a single drug of your choice.
8. Neurodevelopmental disorder (autism spectrum disorder or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder)
9. Neurocognitive disorder – Choose and focus on one of the neurocognitive disorders, e.g., one of the dementias.
10. Neurological disorder – Choose and focus on one neurological disorder, e.g., multiple sclerosis, spina bifida.
11. Sleep-wake disorder – Choose and focus on one of the sleep-wake disorders.
12. Feeding and eating disorder – Choose and focus on one of the feeding and eating disorders.
13. Sexual dysfunction or gender dysphoria – Choose and focus on one of the conditions in these categories
After choosing a disorder, your assignment should include an examination of the following factors as they relate to your selected disorder:
· A description of the pathological features and clinical criteria for diagnosis
· The biopsychological theories of the pathology
· Nervous system structure(s), neurotransmitter(s), receptor(s), and pathways implicated in the disorder
· Possible causes (etiology), including genetic, environmental, familial, lifestyle, and other identifiable risk factors
· Epidemiology of the disorder (demographics of those affected)
· Clinical presentation and natural history of the condition
· Potential complications (neurologic, psychiatric, and other medical or nonmedical)
· Current treatment options (pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic)
· Future directions for research and clinical management
In keeping with the focus of this class, the emphasis of your paper will be on the following neuroscience aspects of the disorder:
· Theories of etiology (causes)
· Associated factors in development of the disorder (genetic, environmental, familial, lifestyle)
· Pathology (abnormalities of physical structure and function, including genetic and biochemical aspects)
· Treatment options (pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic, with rationales for use based on current understanding of the disorder)
· Diagnostic and research technologies employed in clinical diagnosis, care, and basic science research